Wednesday, January 27, 2010

So I Gave Birth to an Axe Murderer

I'm going to apologize right now for all my childrens' failures in life. This is because, as a homeschooling mother, I can no longer blame the "system" for their lack of learning things. I've often thought it was a shame that I get along so well with my husband that the marriage is solid because I would love to send my kids off to "their dad's house" and have him be responsible for all their bad habits. It's bad enough when your kid misbehaves in front of others, but when somebody asks your kid, "What's 7 x 8?" and the kid has forgotten, you're going to get looks. So I would say as a homeschooling parent, fair or not, the world is going to put you and your kids under a microscope.

So here's the thing with me though, and I know I speak for many homeschooling parents. I'm not trying to raise the perfect child. Granted, it would be nice if he/she doesn't become an axe murderer, but I can accept some individuality. I'm not trying to shelter them from the world, and I am not the sole adult authority in their lives. I am merely guiding their education in a way that I see appropriate, and much of what I see appropriate for them is generated by their interests.

Naturally, homeschooling has made us closer to our children, if for no other reason, just based on the amount of time we spend together. Prior to homeschooling, family time was limited for us because both Mike and I have jobs that are 12-hour days and require that we work weekends and holidays. There was never a day in our week where all four of us were home together, and I think that is important for family unity. Now we have a system where one parent is always home with the kids each day, and we have atleast one sacred "family day" on a weekday where we are all together. Many homeschooling groups focus on one parent being the "primary educator," usually the mother, but that is not the way we do it in our family. I do tend to be the one that organizes the plan of study, but Mike is in charge on his days at home. So please feel free to blame Mike for their failures, as well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment